SAMBA digest 1862 (printing from unix to nt)

Foster Jeffrey C jfoste at wgc.woodward.com
Mon Nov 2 17:33:52 GMT 1998

We do this all the time.  I also had the problem with the user authentication on
the NT box.  All our NT printers allow guest access.  I discovered that setting
the smblcient user to 'GUEST' fixed the problem.  Our print command on unix look
like -

smbclient \\\\Server\\Printer -U GUEST -N -P -W OurDomain

The problem is that a know user on the NT server will have to be validated.  You
can use any user id that isn't know to your NT box and you won't be prompted for
a password. If you use a valid NT user account, the NT box will try to validate
it.  GUEST is a special NT account that doesn't need a password (at least on our
network).

>I have a situation here where I am looking at moving about 12 unix print
>queues off to one central windows nt 4.0 print queue.
>
>However if I print to a windows print queue with smbclient it asks me for
>a password which naturally is just the users windows login id.

Jeff Foster
jfoste at wgc.woodward.com