Samba WINS server and lost domain controllers

Graham Leggett graham at vwv.com
Mon Nov 2 07:42:46 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I am using a samba WINS server for my Microsoft network that is split
across 5 physical networks.

For a long time, everything has worked fine, however recently we have
had wierd problems with domain controllers "disappearing". Even with a
primary or backup DC on the physical wire, workstations and other NT
servers suddenly start complaining "a domain controller for DOMAIN
cannot be found".

I am assuming the workstation or server is asking WINS to give it the
address of a domain controller, and WINS is not responding, or is
responding wrong.

Anyone else had a problem like this?

I am using samba v1.9.18p10.

Regards,