Samba file permissions.

Glynn Clements glynn at sensei.co.uk
Sat May 30 23:56:35 GMT 1998

Rubén Laguna wrote:

> I,ve just installed a Samba file server and I can´t figure out how can
> I set file permissions in order to grant access to certain directories
> only to a group of users and grant access to the subs of that directory
> only to certain subgroups of users.

You need to set the permissions the same way as if they users were
logged into the Linux box. Samba accesses the files using the uid/gids
of the user that's connected.

> Is possible to make a user group containing other user groups? And to
> set file permissions accordingly. If it is so, how can I make such a
> group? It tried but it seem not working.

You can't add a group to another group. You need to create a group
that contains all of the members of the other groups.

> Is possible in Samba to define access levels to the dirs of the service?
> I read the docs and seems that the access level can only by defined over
> whole service. ¿Is there a way to do it?

No, or at least not via Samba. Samba determines whether a user's
access to a share is none, read-only or read-write. If a user has
access to a share, then the only further access controls are the Unix
filesystem permissions.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn at sensei.co.uk>