NT4SP3 and encrypted passwords

Ludolf Holzheid Ludolf.Holzheid at t-online.de
Sat May 30 23:11:08 GMT 1998

Hello all,

we use Samba to serve about 20 DOS/WfW/Win95 machines in
'security=share' mode. We use unix accounts as password validation, so I
_know_ our Samba does not accept encrypted passwords.

On Thursday, we added a NT4/SP3 box. I expected it not to logon before
we made the plain-text password registry patch, but it did!

It's a new NT installation (on a new AMD K6 box), so I don't expect the
registry to be already pached. Does NT use password encryption only for
domain logons and plain-text passwords for 'logons to workgroups'?

Ludolf