Problems with installation

Roland Younes roland at bagh.com
Wed May 27 21:29:25 GMT 1998

Hi,

I am new with Samba, so excuse my primitive questions.

I just started installing Samba on an SGI origin unsing IRIX 6.4. with
windows NT workstations.
I was following the UNIX_INSTALL.txt file and I got blocked and step 4
where I should test my "smb.conf" file with the executable "testparm".

After I installed Samba by first doing make, then make install... I took
the sample "smb.conf" from the directory  /packaging/SGI. I configured
it to serve my purpose. I moved the file /usr/local/samba/var as
mentioned in the makefile and the UNX_INSTALL.txt file. I tried to run
testparm but I recieved the message:
    testparm - Command not found.
I checked the path and added in my .login the following:
    setenv PATH
$PATH:/usr/local:/usr/local/samba:/usr/local/samba/bin:/usr/local/samba/var

I restarted, this modification didn't work, so I tried the following:
    set
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local:/usr/local/samba:/usr/local/samba/bin:/usr/local/samba/var

Neither did this one worked.
(By the way I am using the csh shell, if someone could tell me what is
the right syntax).

When none of these two worked, I went to the "directory
/usr/local/samba/bin" where the executable files are located and triend
to run testparm from there... Same error message.

I figured that I did something wrong, but don't know what yet...

Could anyone help pls?

Thanks in advance
Roland