password sync in 1.9.18p4

Detlef Lammermann Detlef.Lammermann at er.materna.de
Wed May 27 17:55:04 GMT 1998

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 Jeremy Allison wrote:

> No this is not what the password sync code does.
> The password sync code allows you to get a password
> change request from a Windows box, and use the plaintext
> password to then change the users unix password.
>
> But the catch is you have to get a password change
> request - changing the password on the NT domain
> controller doesn't send a change request to the
> Samba server on the NIS master, or vica versa.
>
> Such a thing can be done however, and I have
> code embedded in Cygnus's Kerbnet product
> that will do such a thing.
>
> I am currently negotiating with Cygnus to be
> able to re-release the relevent code portions
> under the GPL (the problem with Kerbnet is it's
> a crypto product and such has *massive* US export
> problems).

Hello Jeremy,

Two Questions:
1) Did you have any success in this?
2) In a really old digest (1179 from Wed, 15 Jan 1997) I saw some part of a
   discussion focussing the same topic. What's about this approach?

> From: Don Gaffney <gaffney at emba.uvm.edu>
> To: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at cb1.com>

> > well, i had a look at jeremy's little DLL for NT, which you add to the
> > password change stuff.  and how does NT workstation communicate with NT
> > setver? by doing a NetUserPasswordChange call (or somesuch call - note
> > that msdev says it only works for NT).  so, you basically have a system
> > which sends _two_ SMB password changes: they _could_ be two NT domains:
> > they _could_ be two unix SMB servers...

> I've played w/ jeremy's little DLL as well. What you're saying is that
> this mechanism can (or does) send a NetUserPasswordChange smb packet over
> the net to a remote LANMAN server? Yes?
>
> So this can provide a way to sync passwords changed on NT with a
> SAMBA server. OK. This isn't too bad to do, jeremy's DLL could open
> a named pipe to SAMBA and SAMBA could do the rest: change the unix
> pw file and the smbpasswd file.

Thanks,
        Detlef
                                                                    ////
                                                                   (Q Q)
Detlef Lammermann    eMail: detlef.lammermann at er.materna.de
Dr. Materna GmbH     X.400: /G=Detlef/S=Lammermann/O=ER/P=MATERNA/A=UMI-DE/C=DE/
Wetterkreuz 3        Voice: +49 9131 7723-60
D-91058 Erlangen     Fax:   +49 9131 7723-45