[homes] share(s)

John D. Blair jdblair at cobaltmicro.com
Tue May 26 23:14:23 GMT 1998

> Actually someone (I lost the email, sorry) gave me the solution "valid
> users = %S", which appears to do exactly what I want. This appears to be
> at least a midly confusing issue at best, perhaps a simple addition to
> UNIX_INSTALL.txt or another file would alleviate some possible
> confusion... I would say that at least some mention of being able to

<shameless_self_promotion>
see "Samba: Integrating UNIX and Windows," page 236
(other tricky issues are also nicely documented)
</shameless_self_promotion>

In all fairness, I need to add a mention of this to the docs that come
with Samba.

> browse all home dirs is in order, as when I read the information
> concerning the setup I was under the impression that it only created the
> share for the home directory of the validated user, not _any_ valid
> user... In retrospect, do other unix SMB suites exhibit similar behavior?

I see how it is easy to get that impression, but I think the behavior
should most definately stay the way it is.  Its consistent with the way
UNIX works in general, at least on two counts.  First, in the specific
case of home directories, UNIX installs almost always allow users to
read from each other's home directories by default.  Second, as a
general principle, UNIX tends to give more rights by default, giving you
the option to take them away.  Most other OSs take the opposite
approach.  I like the fact that UNIX is liberal by default.

regards...
 -john.

John D. Blair                                 jdblair at cobaltmicro.com
Software Engineer, Cobalt Microserver