[homes] share(s)

bytor at logicsouth.com bytor at logicsouth.com
Tue May 26 23:58:24 GMT 1998

On Tue, 26 May 1998, David Collier-Brown wrote:

> 	This looks worse than it is: he's connecting to them
> 	**as himself**, not as the share owners.  This is the
> 	equivalent of me saying ``cd /etc'' as a normal Unix user.
> 	I can look around, but not change things.
> 	If you want to prohibit people logging via Samba to
> 	one of these accounts,  consider adding an
> 	``invalid users = '' list, mentioning the accounts
> 	you don't want people to connect to.  For convenience,
> 	you might want to make a group, say ``daemons'', put
> 	the accounts into it and say ``invalid users = @daemons''.
>
> 	Just looking at the accounts?  I think you might do something
> 	with read only = yes and read lists, but I've not investigated
> 	it...

Actually someone (I lost the email, sorry) gave me the solution "valid
users = %S", which appears to do exactly what I want. This appears to be
at least a midly confusing issue at best, perhaps a simple addition to
UNIX_INSTALL.txt or another file would alleviate some possible
confusion... I would say that at least some mention of being able to
browse all home dirs is in order, as when I read the information
concerning the setup I was under the impression that it only created the
share for the home directory of the validated user, not _any_ valid
user... In retrospect, do other unix SMB suites exhibit similar behavior?