netlogon error?

Eric Sisler esisler at ares.csd.net
Tue May 26 20:39:57 GMT 1998

Greetings all,

I'm running a RedHat 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32) Linux box with samba 1.9.18p7 and
I'm having a problem with my netlogon share.  NT domain logons are working
just fine, but I keep getting the following message in /var/log/messages,
repeated every day for every user logging in:

May 26 09:08:09 gromit PAM_pwdb[23002]: 1 authentication failure; (uid=0)
-> [username] for samba service

I'm pretty sure it has to be the netlogon share, because without a .bat
file in /home/netlogon, I still get the same error message.  It doesn't
seem to affect the actual functionality of samba, but with 70+ PC's logging
into samba at least once a day it makes wading through /var/log/messages a
little tedious.

My netlogon share is pretty much the default and looks like this:

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/netlogon
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   share modes = no

the /home/netlogon directory owner/group/permissions look like this:

drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         2048 May 26 09:03 /home/netlogon/

Have I missed something or is this a problem?

Any help would be most apprecitated.

-Eric Sisler
esisler at ares.csd.net