[homes] share(s)

John D. Blair jdblair at cobaltmicro.com
Tue May 26 05:57:26 GMT 1998

bytor at logicsouth.com wrote:
> I got back from school the other day and set up samba to avoid hearing
> questions from my father about "why can't I see your computer from my
> network neighborhood" etc etc and he wants to mount my mp3 files.. I also
> set up the standard homes share, but besides being able to connect to
> _his_ home directory, he is able to _any_ home directory! This is
> definitely not the behavior I am looking for here. From the smb.conf man
> page I can see nothing that addresses this problem/feature. What am I
> missing here?

This is the expected behavior.  You may have noticed that your father
can connect to any home dir but he can only write to his own directory.
Either set the permissions on your home directories so that only the
owner of the directory can access them (i.e., chmod 600 /home/*), or set
'valid users = %S' in the [homes] section of your smb.conf file.  The
latter solution causes Samba to only allow the owner of a home directory
to access their directory.

John D. Blair                                 jdblair at cobaltmicro.com
Software Engineer, Cobalt Microserver