Need help installing samba

Steven James Flynn sflynn at ee.gatech.edu
Tue May 26 01:41:51 GMT 1998

Hi,

I've got a strange problem.. I've installed samba on a Sun machine running
Solaris 2.5.1.  Everything seems to work well, up until I try to mount my
home directory from a Win95 PC.

I've gone through the DIAGNOSIS.txt file, and everything up to and
including stop 7 (smbclient '\\BIGSERVER\TMP') works great... so from what
I can tell, its working.

However, when I attempt to mount from a PC, I get the error message:

c:\\windows> net view \\hagler

Error 3545: You cannot start or stop the network from within an
MS-DOS window

from explorer:

trying to mount \\hagler\sflynn

error: The following error occurred while trying to connect
J: to \\hagler\sflynn

The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
correctly, and try again.

However:

ROOT at hagler.ph.dhr.state.ga.us>bin/smbclient '\\hagler\sflynn'
Added interface ip=167.193.144.45 bcast=167.193.144.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Thu May 14 14:40:26 1998
Timezone is UTC-4.0
Password:
Domain=[DHR] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.18p3]
security=share
smb: \>

my smb.conf file looks like:

sflynn at hagler.ph.dhr.state.ga.us>cat lib/smb.conf
workgroup = DHR

[homes]
      guest ok = no
      writeable=yes
[tmp]
 comment = temporary files
 path = /tmp

I've very confused.. I've used samba before, however, I've never installed
it from scratch myself....

Any help would be greatly apreciated... please send responses to
sflynn at ee.gatech.edu, since I'm not subscribed to the list... I'll send
the answer back if we can find one!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Steve Flynn

		   Georgia Institute of Technology
      School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332-0250
        E-MAIL: sflynn at ee.gatech.edu    PHONE: (404) 894-3872
               HTTP: http://www.ee.gatech.edu/users/sflynn/