[Q] Copy-File-Problem (with Samba 1.9.18p7 & Win NT4)

Lehmann, Martin Martin.Lehmann at telekom.de
Mon May 25 14:58:41 GMT 1998

Hello,

I got a question concerning SAMBA 1.9.18p7 and Microsoft Developper
Studio (respectively: Copy'ing files in the same directory
does not work)!

Samba is running on a Linux-PC, clients are some Windows
NT 4 SP3 PC's (already including the "EnablePlainTextPassword" -
Entry in the registry).

As some of our developpers are using Microsofts Developper Studio 97
they would like to store their projects on the linux server. They
can create projects but they are not able to close it any more.

We looked for a solution and found that another thing returned
the same results: If (using the explorer, for example) you click
on a file, enter CTRL-C (copy) and CTRL-V (paste), you will get a
message box which says that you cannot do this ("access denied, as
the source file may be open or used"). Normally, Samba should create
a file called "copy-of-<FILENAME>" or something like that.

Indeed, *some, but only some* of our developpers can do so, but
*not all* of them !!!!???

What is most astonishing: Before we did an upgrade to the latest
patches (upgrade from p3 to p4, now alread p7), everything worked
fine. We tried to reinstall patch3 (make revert) but that did *NOT*
solve the problem ...
(No, we did not make any changes to smb.conf :-)

Any ideas ??? I tried nearly everything ... :-(

I would like to ask you to send a copy of your reply to the email
adress below, as I am not a member of this mailing list !

Thanks a lot in advance and bye
   Martin Lehmann

_ Martin Lehmann             Martin.Lehmann at telekom.de _
_      Deutsche Telekom AG, EZ Darmstadt, E5 ADS       _