Illegal filename characters

Rod Evans rod at prospect.anprod.csiro.au
Sat May 23 01:37:08 GMT 1998

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> Are you certain it's the $ causing ufsdump problems, and not some other
> filesystem problem?  What if you create a dinky filesystem, touch 'a$b'
> in it, and then try to ufsdump it?
>
> Personally, I've never been a fan of ufsump (I like GNU tar or cpio
> better), but we used to use it a LOT, and never had this kind of
> problem.  It's written in C - it's not like it should have shell'ish
> problems.

Thanks for the reply Dan. Yes, I jumped the gun by posting to the Samba
list. I did some further testing and concluded it was nothing to do with
the "$" characters. Both ufsdump and tar were able to handle such
directory names without problems.
I'm CC'ing this to the Samba list as a retraction of my previous post.

For those who may be interested, the problem is with using ufsdump (Sun
Solaris 2.5) to backup a whole filesystem. No problem up till March 30, then
consistently aborts with SIGSEGV message in the log.
Surface analysis of that drive shows no problems, though fsck complains it
can't read 4 blocks.
Funny thing is - tar had no problems backing up the whole of the same
filesystem to the same tape device!
Ah well ... just have to keep looking for more clues.

> Rod Evans wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have a solution for the problem of file and directory names
> > containing characters which are OK in DOS/Windows but illegal (or at least
> > unwise) in Unix?
> > I have Windows clients who have written directory names containing "$"
> > characters to Samba shares on a Solaris box.
> > This is fine for the clients, but plays havoc with Solaris programs
> > needing to access the files, eg. backups using ufsdump crash in Pass II
> > (checking directories).
> > This must be a common problem on Samba servers, what's the solution?
> >
> > Rod.

> > | Rod Evans     Divisional Manager      CSIRO Division of Animal Production |
> > |               (Networks/Computing)    Locked Bag 1, Delivery Centre       |
> > |                                       Blacktown, NSW 2148                 |
> > | Internet:                             AUSTRALIA                           |
> > | R.Evans at prospect.anprod.csiro.au      Tel: (61) (02) 9840 2700            |
> > |                                       Fax:           9840 2940            |

Rod.