Unix-Windows file synchronization problem

Marina Markus mary at bgumail.bgu.ac.il
Thu May 21 09:11:02 GMT 1998

Looking for help !

We have a rather strange problem working with Samba installed
on a DEC Alpha server, when reading an exported directory from Windows.

We are using an application written in C that reads a file from drive E:
where a directory exported from Alpha is mounted. Once the file is read,
all the further readings ignore changes in the file (file is changed
on Alpha). Even as we read it 10 minutes after it was changed, we still
see the old contents. The file is opened and closed every time we are
reading, so there is no reason this should happen.

However, if we open a DOS window and issue a "type" command for this file,
we always get the update contents. If afterwards we issue a read from C
application, we also get the updated contents of the file.

Similar problem occurs with other applications (e.g. in TCL/TK).
It looks like the application doesn't read from the remote drive, but
from some buffer in the memory, and it is not notified properly that
the file has changed.

I will appreciate very much any idea or experience concerning this
problem.

Marina Markus
Ben-Gurion University Computer Center
(07)6461-745