Wierd browse problem

Bob Franklin R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
Wed May 20 16:57:42 GMT 1998

Hi,

I'm running 1.9.18p7 in two places (two separate networks): one on
Solaris 2.5 and one on Linux 2.0.33 (RedHat 4.1).

The latter works fine, browsing included, 'smbclient -L server' lists the
machines and workgroups/domains.  However, this is on a small (two
subnet) network.

However, the Solaris installation does not appear to be working properly
(for browsing... everything else seems fine). It's set up as follows:

  # Browse list/mastering
  OS level = 64
  Local master = yes
  Domain master = yes
  Preferred master = yes
  ;Remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
  Remote announce = 134.225.16.0/22

  # WINS server/client configuration
  WINS support = yes
  ;WINS server = wins0
  ;WINS proxy = yes
  DNS proxy = no

(The 'remote browse sync' bit was just the default, left in [commented
out] future reference.)  I tried with and without the 'remote announce';
where 134.225.16.0/22 is the subnet the server is on.

Looking at log.nmb (apologies for the wrapping):

  1998/05/20 17:30:38 become_domain_master_browser_wins: attempting to
  become domain master browser on workgroup UNSEEN, subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
  become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server at IP
  134.225.16.5 for domain master browser name UNSEEN<1b> on workgroup
  UNSEEN

  1998/05/20 17:30:38 ***** Samba server SUAU1 is now a domain master
  browser for workgroup UNSEEN on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET *****

  become_domain_master_browser_bcast: At time 1998/05/20 17:30:38
  attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup UNSEEN on
  subnet 134.225.16.5 become_domain_master_browser_bcast: querying subnet
  134.225.16.5 for domain master browser on workgroup UNSEEN

  1998/05/20 17:30:47 ***** Samba server SUAU1 is now a domain master
  browser for workgroup UNSEEN on subnet 134.225.16.5 *****

  1998/05/20 17:30:51 *****   Samba name server SUAU1 is now a local
  master browser for workgroup UNSEEN on subnet 134.225.16.5 *****

Looking at .../samba/var/locks/browse.dat, I get a big list of
workgroups/domains from subnets all over the campus (how they end up on
there, I don't know... most of them don't have a WINS server address in).

wins.dat has a list of domains/hosts in (but not many... only machines
with the WINS server set up in).

However, 'smbclient -L suau1' doesn't reveal the browse list (as it does
on the Linux installation and other machines such as 95/NT).

The browse master for a workgroup on a remote subnet (a Linux machine
with a big OS level, slightly older version of Samba: 1.9.18p3) is
configured with the WINS server above and (with and without) the 'remote
browse sync' option pointing at the server above.  The workgroups/domains
on that machines subnets are making it into the browse.dat file on the
main server, but the Linux server is not getting the other workgroups
back.

IN SHORT
--------

The main WINS server (acting as the domain master browser and local
browser) does not appear to be sending its browse lists back down to its
subordinates (this should happen with WINS configured, shouldn't it?).

Any suggestions?

I wanted to get WINS rolled out (and set up browsing properly) to try and
reduce the anarchy currently going on.

  - Bob

P.S.  I sent something about this a few days ago, but got cut short and I
don't know if it made sense to the point where I'd go to.

  I also seek adventure and fortune in the New World! -> esteban at mince.net
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  Computer Services Centre                      R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.         http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~mince/