win 98 -Reply

James Jennings jennings at novell.nadn.navy.mil
Wed May 20 12:46:22 GMT 1998

>>Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 09:09:32 -0700
>>From: Jim <jimd at salinas.net>
>>To: "'samba at samba.anu.edu.au'" <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
>>Subject: Win 98

>>I am using samba-1.9.16p2-2 on Linux. Have used it for about 2 years with
no problems. None.
>>I have several Win95 units that access it. I loaded Win98 on one of the
>>units and now I can browse the directories but I cannot enter any directory
>>that requires a password. Win98 reports that the password is incorrect. I
>>might add that Win98 also gets stuck in one of Microsofts
>>loops in that since it states the password is wrong if you try to cancel it
>>of cource keeps
>>trying until you kill the program that is trying to access the samba
>>volume. Also printing does not work for the same reason (password not
>>correct). Any Ideas. Mayby a new version of Samba? Mayby do not use Win98?
>>Thanks

>>PS I do not like MS and I do not like anyone that does.

>>Jim Davison
>>jimd at salinas.net

I think that Win98 passes passwords encrypted by default and your version of
samba did not provide encrypted password passing by default.  You can get
a newer version of samba that passes password encrypted by default, or
set Win98 to pass passwords plain-text.  I think this done the same way it
is done the updated versions of Win95.  There is a text file on the samba
site explaining how to do this.

James Jennings
jennings at nadn.navy.mil