nmbd not working under Solaris 2.6/Samba 1.9.17p4

Ed Maple Ed.Maple at corp.netcom.com
Mon May 18 21:12:08 GMT 1998

Greetings, O Mighty SAMBA masters.

A problem cropped up with our SAMBA implementation, which began when  we
upgraded the Sun Ultra 3000 on which it runs from Solaris 2.5.1 to Solaris
2.6. Our NT servers are no longer able to connect the the file services
offered from that box, or at best, only intermittently. I began going
through the "Diagnosing Samba" document (the one on the web page). When I
got to step 4, "nmblookup -B BIGSERVER __SAMBA__"  (and yes, I subtituted
the actual name of the Solaris server for BIGSERVER <grin>), I received the
message "name_query failed to find name __SAMBA__" as the last message in
the response.

I'm going to download the latest version of SAMBA and install it to see if
that fixes things. Outside of the general idea that one should attempt to
keep up with the latest rev. of the software, will this likely fix my
problem? or is there something else that I should look at?

Vitals:

+ Sun Ultra 3000.
+ Solaris 2.6 with current patches.
+ Samba 1.9.17p4