Access Win-95 Network Neighborhood via Linux PPP Server

Mike Blatchley mblatch at rocky.orci.com
Mon May 18 18:32:56 GMT 1998

I don't know if this is Samba related, but I figured those monitoring
these lists were the experts at Win-95 networking and Linux/UNIX TCP/IP.
I have a RedHat 5.0 i386 machine acting as a PPP server for Win-95 dialin
users.  The only Win-95 service running is TCP/IP (no IPX, no NETBEUI), so
users can POP their mail, telnet to machines on the LAN, etc.

The next hurdle is to allow Network Neighborhood access to other Win-95
machines on the LAN.  For now, all these machines are on the same subnet
and the remote machine is issued an IP also on that subnet.

    ---------              ------------            --------------
   | remote  | phone line | Linux      | ethernet | Other Win-95 |
   | Win-95  | -----------| RH 5.0     |----------| peer-to-peer |
   | machine |            | PPP Server |          | machines     |
    ---------              ------------            --------------

>From the "remote Win-95" machine, I can access the Samba share that the
"Linux PPP Server" provides.  The Linux Server is providing the remote
machine with a list of other Win-95 machine names, but I cannot access
them.  I try, and the remote machine eventually times-out saying the
machine is not accessable.

Since I'm not running IPX or NetBEUI, I thought all the NetBIOS would be
transported via TCP/IP.  Is there a possibility that my Linux Server is
not broadcasting these packets across the rest of the network?

Someone on redhat-list suggested that I use "wins support=yes" in my
smb.conf file, but that had no effect.  If anyone knows the answer, I'd
appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,
Mike
mblatch at orci.com