DOS-Client with TCPIP and SAMBA

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Mon May 18 09:35:53 GMT 1998

Hi,

>I have a client in a network using a samba-server that has to use MSDOS,
>because some software running on it needs a clean DOS. I installed the
>DOS-Client for TCPIP that is available from Microsoft V 1.0 and it works
>fine; the only thing is, that it takes so much memory below 640 K, that
> another program also running under DOS does not function correctly anymore.
>Maybe some of the programs loaded in the autoexec.bat are not neccessary or
>maybe there is some other TCPIP client for MSDOS available that eats up less
>memory.

Thanks for listing the AUTOEXEC.BAT and the MEM /C output.

It's clear that you're using the FULL redirector.  The easiest way to
save loads of memory on the client PC is to use the BASIC redirector.
You lose some functionality on the client and you _MUST_ use encrypted
passwords at the Samba server.  (The MS-Client (basic) is naughty in that
it ignores instructions to use plain-text passwords)

I don't remember ever finding bits tht can be removed from AUTOEXEC.
Also, if you want to try and do better meemory managment yourself (I
notice you had 50+K free in Upper Memory) then you should comment out
UMB.COM while you try.  UMB.COM is a special memory manager itself.

Best of luck.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x 285     Everything else: +44 956 237670 (anytime)