BUG: Re: Cannot use smbpasswd for new user (1.9.18p7)

Andrej Borsenkow borsenkow.msk at sni.de
Fri May 15 14:40:25 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: SI-Gaetan Boudreau <boudreg at IRCM.UMontreal.CA>
To: Andrej Borsenkow <borsenkow.msk at sni.de>; samba at samba.anu.edu.au
<samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
>> It has nothing to do with initial null passwords
>
>Thank you for taking time in trying to help me.
>
>The reason I suspect it does it's that it works for the other users, the
>ones who already have an encrypted password.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Sorry for rush answer :-(

It looks, like smbpasswd sends session setup request with null password
(length 0). smbd calls password_ok(), but this function calls
smb_password_check() (which only can decide, if supplied null password is
valid) *only* if password length is 24. If password length is 0, it falls
back to whatever is available on Unix, and finally fails. If smbd was
compiled with GUEST_SESSSETUP=0 or 1, session setup fails.

I cannot for myself decide, if smbpasswd or smbd gets it wrong. But it is
clear bug.

I send it to samba-bugs as well.

A. Borsenkow