NT Services for Unix

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Wed May 13 12:33:17 GMT 1998

You wrote:
	What does this mean for the SAMBA community?

	http://www.intergraph.com/press98/as050698.stm

	WINDOWS NT SERVICES FOR UNIX ADD-ON PACK NOW IN DEVELOPMENT
	http://www.microsoft.com/corpinfo/press/1998/May98/ntunixpr.htm
	The Windows NT Services for UNIX Add-On Pack will make it easier to
	integrate Windows NT Workstation 4.0 and Windows NT Server 4.0 into
	existing UNIX environments.

  After looking at the various announcements, its sounds rather like
<my old employer> adding on a third-party package because they
didn't have anything internal good enough to sell.

  This is somewhat disappointing to customers who have licensed
the SMB source code (;-)), but mildly irrelevant to the Samba
community.  Shifting to NFS moves the management problem to
the client, not the server, and this is **already** one of the
main reasons to avoid third-party NFSs in favour of Samba.

  If I were Dogbert and working at Microsoft, I'd be planning
to phase it out later, in favour of a pure MS product that would
be under the zero-administration initiative.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb