"Network Error" under Win/95...?

Victor M. Carranza G. victor at mp.lex.gob.gt
Tue May 12 18:17:32 GMT 1998

Hello!

I have been using Samba since last year and never had a problem which
required to contact the Mailing Lists, but... now I think I have one that
is worth it :(

I am renumbering my internal IP network. I have been using 192.9.200
addresses (God knows why I chose that number), but now we are going to get
wired to the Internet and I am changing all hosts to 192.168.x addresses.
My Samba server (1.9.18p3 under FreeBSD 3.0)  listens to requests from the
two number ranges, while I finish the renumbering task. But recently, I
found that, when changing the TCP/IP configuration of some machines which
comes with version 4.00.950 of Win95, I cannot log on the Samba server
anymore. I do not have this problem with machines having version 4.00.950a
of Win95, tough. I tried many things:  deleting arp entries, reloading
nmbd and smbd, and rebooting the server, but no success.  The machines try
to logon to the samba server, but win95 displays a message stating that it
cannot make the connection, an the reason is simply "network error" :(
(smbclient -L works fine from the server to the problem machine, tough).
Also, in the "network neighborhood" window, I can see every host but my
server.

If this is an old issue, please give me some pointers and I'll look in the
mailing list archives or the FAQ.

Best regards,

Victor Carranza