No subject

Johan Meiring jjm at iname.com
Tue May 12 17:29:02 GMT 1998

Hi,

A few weeks ago I announced a rewritten PROFILES.txt on the mailing
list.

It is available on http://users.iafrica.com/p/pc/pcs/profiles.txt

The idea of it is to explain exactly how NT and 95 handles roaming
profiles and then specify how to set up samba to enable both to handle
roaming profiles.

Most of the document it finished, and I would like to contribute it, but
I have a few things to confirm as I don't have access to samba at the
moment.  (It had to go at my previous job :-( ).

First:
-------

In USER MANAGER FOR DOMAINS.  You can specify two things.

1)	A home directory
2)	A profile directory

Windows 95 uses the home directory to store its roaming profile and
Windows NT uses the profile directory to store its roaming profile.

According to the smb.conf from samba.anu.edu.au there is a setting
called logon drive, logon path and login home.

logon drive and login path is the same as a 'remote home directory' in
'USER MANAGER FOR DOMAINS'.  Logon home is the place for the profile.
This does not make sense.  as Windows 95 uses the 'remote home
directory' to store its roaming profile.

Second question, is there a setting the corresponds to the 'profile
path' setting under 'USER MANAGER FOR DOMAINS'.  There has to as several
people have succesfully set up roaming profiles.

Finally, When samba-ntdom becomes fully USER MANAGER FOR DOMAINS
compatible, this info should be 'settable' per user.  Does this mean that
this info will somehow move into the smbpasswd file?

Next:
--------

Filename case of ntconfig.pol.

Various people confirmed different combinations of 'ntconfig' case and
'case settings' to work.

The following are these that I know about.

Nuno Loureiro <nuno at lwp.ualg.pt> said he had:
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
case sensitive = no
ntconfig.pol

Daniel Fonseca <daniel at med.up.pt> said he had:
preserve case = no
short preserve case = no
default case = lower
case sensitive = no
NTconfig.pol

Dana Canfield <canfield at uindy.edu> said he had

NTConfig.Pol

etc ...........................

Can someone please confirm that ANY case of the ntconfig.pol file works
as long as you have case sensitive set to 'NO' on your netlogon share.

Third:
---------

Bruce Cook <BC3-AU at bigfoot.com>
John Terpstra <samba-bugs at samba.anu.edu.au>
Wolfgang Ratzka <ratzka at hrz.uni-marburg.de>

claimed that you should mount your home directory under Windows 95
before the machine will load the roaming profile.  This is claimed in
the existing PROFILES.txt.  As far as I know it should be _possible_ to
mount it using 'map X: /home' not that you _have_ to do it.  Could
anybody confirm this.

I will update and contribute the rewritten profiles.txt as soon as I can
resolve these few points.

Thank you

Johan Meiring