determining domain master and forcing elections?

Jeff Wiegley jeff at la.usweb.com
Mon May 11 22:49:17 GMT 1998

Every now and then one of my lusers sets up a machine which attempts
to be a local master and/or a domain master for our workgroup. This
sucks since we want our samba machine to *always* be the WINS master
server.  (we have os level set to 255 for this machine) but appearantly
it still loses elections that come up from time to time.

The only way I know when this happens is when people come to me complaining
about not being able to see all the servers and the only way I know how
to correct the problem is to find the offensive computer, disable it
somehow and then stop and start the smb services on teh samba machine.

My two questions are:

1) Is there a command/procedure I can use to determine who is currently
the domain master browser. and...

2) Is there a way I can cause a running smbd/nmbd to force a new election
without having to completely stop and then restart the whole thing?

- Jeff