Why only one WINS server?

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Mon May 11 13:54:17 GMT 1998

Jean-Francois Micouleau <Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr> said
> On Sun, 10 May 1998, Robert Dahlem wrote:
> > While NT's TCP/IP setup has two entrys, one for a primary and one for a
> > secondary WINS server I wonder why there should be only one Samba WINS
> > server.

> A samba wins server can't replicate its base with another wins server.
> The microsoft WINS replication protocol is undocumented

... and wins servers cache information discovered from listening
to MS announcements, so simply replicating DNS/hosts/yp/whatever
information to two or more Samba wins servers won't keep them
from getting out of synch.

  As Microsoft plan to retire wins in favour of DNS in the very
near future, I'd recommend using it cautiously, and making sure
you don't depend on anything peculiar to WINS.

 If you do You Will Hate Yourself Later (:-))

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb