Sync browse list between multiple workgroups?

Rob Naccarato rob.naccarato at sheridanc.on.ca
Mon May 11 13:25:23 GMT 1998

>"F.G.P." <fgp at fgp.atnet.at> said:
>
>I am not an samba-expert, but I wondered why you use two diffrent wins
>servers. Wins-Server translate netbios-names into ip-addresses, just like
>dns-servers do for hostnames.
>I would try to
>) Define a Local Master Browser in each subnet
>) Define a Domain Master Browser in each Workgroup
>) Define ONE of the Domain Master Browsers to be a WINS server, let all
>	PC's and samba servers use this wins-server.
>
>If this doesn't help, I would try only making the WINS server an Domain
>Master browser, and the other Domain Master browser an Local Master
>Browser.

The thing is though, I can't rely on only one WINS server being
available.  I have two distinct locations to manage and if the
link goes down between them it should not impact clients at the
location where the single WINS server is not located.

--

Rob Naccarato           "I know I'm a lot of feathers,
Sys Admin               but not much chicken."