Samba's 'hoping' trouble?

Giampaolo Tomassoni tomassoni at ftbcc.it
Sun May 10 09:35:45 GMT 1998

Dear all,

I guess I am encountering a samba trouble in accessing remote servers
through Samba.

Say we have a two-port host having an intranet port A and an internet port
B, so that packet forwarding is not enabled between the two ports.

Say that we install Samba into this host, tuning its configuration to
attach SMB services to both A and B ports.

Now, say that we want to reach, from this host, a non-neigthboring host C
through internet (ie: port B), so that C's ip netaddress does not match A's
netaddress nor B's one.

Then you get the chance that Samba will attempt the connection through the
wrong port (ie: A), resulting in a 'error connecting C: no route to host'.

Which is the way samba 'chooses' an interface instead of another, if any?

I guess there may be two solutions:

    - Use the 0.0.0.0:137/139 ports for outgoing connections
      instead of an interface-specific one (to rely on
      kernel's routing algoritms for correct dispatching)

    - Interpret and use routing infos to choose the originating
      ports for the connection.

Am I right? Is there anybody experiencing the same?

I actually am running Samba ver. 1.9.18p5 on some Linux machines, but I
believe that such a samba behaviour had not been introduced by recent
updates.

Bye,

Giampaolo Tomassoni	Information Systems Consultant
P.za 8 Aprile 1948, 4	Tel/Fax: +39 (578) 21100
I-53044 Chiusi (SI)	 e-mail: tomassoni at geocities.it
ITALY
homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Park/2209/