After almost every reboot, Samba printing is DOA under Solaris 2.6...

Cliff Green green at UMDNJ.EDU
Sat May 9 16:22:58 GMT 1998

> Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 15:42:06 -0700
> From: "Rick Flower" <Rick.Flower at trw.com>
> To: "Samba Listserv" <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
> Subject: After almost every reboot, Samba printing is DOA under
Solaris 2.6...

BTW - Could you submit to the list in plaintext from now on?  It just
makes it easier to read and understand your questions, let alone
answer them...

> It appears that after some reboots of Solaris, Samba printing is
partly=20
> dead. What I see in the logs are below, and what happens is that the
> file to be printed is spooled to /var/spool/samba, like always, but
> when the lpr command is issued it croaks.  I've been able to play
> with it and sometimes find that once I get it working, it is good
until
> the next reboot (of Solaris).  Now, the return status is 256, which
> really doesn't tell me anything as the man page for the Solaris lpr
> command states :

Actually, we've seen something like this under hpux, so I don't think
it's related to your OS.

>   print command  =3D lpr -r -P%p %s

This could be your problem.  Put the full path for the lpr command in
here (e.g., /usr/sbin/lpr, or whatever it is for you).  When your
system reboots, it's probably not setting up the path for printing
adequately.  Are you restarting samba from inetd or from init.d?  (We
use init.d for our production machines, so that's where it happens for
us).

-c