Slow Network performance with ArcView and Samba

Paul Ostro paulo at medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Fri May 8 18:37:32 GMT 1998

Rene,

I've no idea if this will help, but we had a problem with very slow
perfromance with the Eudora mail program. The users' mail boxes were in
their home directory trees on a Samba share on a Sun running SunOS. Other
users, whose home directories were on Solaris Suns had no problems with speed.

I cured this by seeting -DFAST_SHARE_MODES in the makefile for the SunOS
machines. It is already defined by default for the Solaris opsys, but not
for SunOS. I also have "socket options = TCP_NODELAY" set in the SunOS
configuration file.

Maybe this will help?

Paul