Sync browse list between multiple workgroups?

Rob Naccarato rob.naccarato at sheridanc.on.ca
Thu May 7 12:46:32 GMT 1998

> > (Samba version 1.9.18p4)
> >
> > I want to set up my environment thusly:
> >
> > - 2 workgroups, each composed of multiple subnets.
> > - Each workgroup has a DMB and a WINS server (Samba only - no NT)
> > - The two workgroups should collate browse lists so that clients on
> > either workgroup can browse and connect to hosts on the opposite workgroup.
> >
> > I've read the documentation in BROWSING.txt and it does not appear to
> > work in my test environment.  This is how I set it up:
> >
> > - Subnet A has a Samba server and a WIN95 client
> > - Subnet B has a Samba server and a WIN95 client
> > - Both Samba servers are in different workgroups and each are configured
> > as a WINS server and a DMB.
> > - Both clients are configured to use the local Samba server as their WINS
> > server.
> >
> > The Samba servers have similar smb.conf files:
> >
> >         domain logons = yes
> >         security = user
> >         password level = 16
> >         wins support = yes
> >         os level = 255
> >         domain master = yes
> >         local master = yes
> >         preferred master = yes
> >         workgroup = Dude
> >         remote browse sync = <IP of the other Samba server>
> >

> > I've also tried using "remote announce" and it still doesn't work.
> >
> > However, on each client, the Network Neighborhood sees the two differnet
> > workgroups.  When I try to view what's in the opposite workgroup, I
> > get an error saying that the network name cannot be found.
>
> Yes, that is the same behaviour as I observed here. I can see the
> other Workgroup in the Network Neighborhood but it can't be openend;
> the local Workgroup works okay.
>
> Please, if someone could explain what we are doing wrong, or if you
> get some hints concerning this, please drop me a note.
>
> I have seen this kind of problem several times on the mailing-lists,
> so it might be worth adding it to BROWSING.TXT if it is solvable.

Ok - I think I got it, thanks to Herb Lewis <herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com> and
Mac <dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk>.  They suggested setting up both Samba servers
as WINS servers.  Then assign the Primary WINS server to the local WINS
server and the Secondary to the other WINS server on the client.
I did this through dhcpd.  It works great!  I can now Browse both
workgroups as expected through the Network Neighborhood.

Thanks to all.

BTW, I thinks this info should be in some docs somewhere.  Perhaps in
the FAQ or somesuch...

--

Rob Naccarato           "I know I'm a lot of feathers,
Sys Admin               but not much chicken."