WINS-only server? nmbd?

Bob Franklin R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
Tue May 5 20:58:37 GMT 1998

Hi All,

I'm setting up a central WINS server on campus here and would like to use
a Samba machine to do this (we don't have enough 'stable' NT to do it
with that, yet).

I don't really want to run the whole of Samba on that particular machine
(since there is no need [I don't need file/print serving] and to keep
someone happy with regards security ;-).

Can I just run nmbd on it to offer a WINS/browsing service -- since
that's all I'm after?

  - Bob

  I also seek adventure and fortune in the New World! -> esteban at mince.net
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  Computer Services Centre                      R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.         http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~mince/