Printing from NT4 public=no

Steve Fosdick fosdicsj at aom.bt.co.uk
Tue May 5 09:43:13 GMT 1998

Daniel Grandjean <grandjea at dgrsunm.epfl.ch> wrote:

> I was wondering if its possible to print from Windows NT4 SP3
> samba print services with the option
> public=no
>
> The printing fail silently on the NT machines.
> I was hoping to have a 'network password' dialog box
> the same way as to connect to a file service,
> but alas none is displayed.

NT will not display a password dialog box when it is connecting
to a printer.  When it gets to the same point in a printer connection
attempt that a file service connection attempt would display the
password dialog box the connection is failed instead.

The way round this is to be sure to connect a file service first
before trying to connect the printer.  This was NT had already
authenticated the user with the samba server so it doesn't have
to display the password dialog.

See also the WinNT.txt file in the samba docs directory.
Steve Fosdick                  Internet: fosdicsj at aom.bt.co.uk
Voice: +44 1473 642987         MSMAIL:   BTEA/BTLIP23/FOSDICSJ
Fax:   +44 1473 646656         BOAT:     FOSDICSJ
Snail: B29/G34, BT Labs, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, IP5 7RE, England.