problems with samba on DHCP lan

David Cougle thyle at moonman.com
Sun May 3 19:24:07 GMT 1998

Ok, I have not been able to get samba working correctly.  Yesterday, for the
first time, I was able to get a list of all computers on the network, but i
forgot how.
Here is a common error.
)))))))))))))))))

[thyle at ADELICIA thyle]$ smbclient -L jarhead
Added interface ip=206.23.240.80 bcast=206.23.240.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
read socket failed. ERRNO=Connection refused
read socket failed. ERRNO=Connection refused
read socket failed. ERRNO=Connection refused
Got a positive name query response from 206.23.240.238 ( 206.23.240.238 )
Server time is Sun May  3 14:26:46 1998
Timezone is UTC-5.0
security=share

Server=[JARHEAD] User=[] Workgroup=[BELMONT] Domain=[BELMONT]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        SAVEFOLDER     Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors
_________
[thyle at ADELICIA thyle]$ su root
Password:
[root at ADELICIA thyle]# smbmount //BELMONT/JARHEAD /a
Password:
my hostname name too long as a netbios name: ADELICIA.BELMONT.EDU
use option -c client_name
[root at ADELICIA thyle]# smbmount //BELMONT/JARHEAD /a -n -c LASTBARD
mount error: Invalid argument
Please look at smbmount's manual page for possible reasons
__
why does it say my hostname, for one, instead of netbios name?
and why wont it let me mount? it does this for all shares.
_________
[root at ADELICIA thyle]# smbclient -L lastbard
Added interface ip=206.23.240.80 bcast=206.23.240.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
read socket failed. ERRNO=Connection refused
read socket failed. ERRNO=Connection refused
read socket failed. ERRNO=Connection refused
Got a positive name query response from 206.23.240.80 ( 206.23.240.80 )
Server time is Sun May  3 14:27:42 1998
Timezone is UTC-5.0
Domain=[BELMONT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.18p4]
security=share
SMBtconX failed. ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
Some servers insist that these be in uppercase
____
I am lastbard, why does it say that?  And here is my smb.conf
_______
# KDE Config File
;======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
; OS Level gives Samba the power to rule the roost. Windows NT=32
socket options=TCP_NODELAY
lock directory=/var/lock/samba
;null passwords=yes
;  printing=bsd
;  include=/etc/smb.conf.%m
log file=/var/log/samba-log.%m
;   fake oplocks=yes
;   case sensitive=yes
;   os level=33
; load printers=yes
wins server=198.146.88.12
hosts allow=206.23.
;   domain master=yes
;   socket address=aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
;   logon script=%u.bat
;   logon script=%m.bat
; volume=used to emulate a CDRom label (can be set on a per share basis)
;   domain logons=yes
; printing=BSD or SYSV or AIX, etc.
server string = David Cougle's Linux Box

local master = no
os level = 1
domain master = no

;============================ Share Declarations ==============================
strict locking=yes
guest account=nobody
preserve case=yes
;wins support=yes
workgroup=BELMONT
security=SHARE
interfaces=eth0
max log size=50
;   keep alive=60
short preserve case=yes
load printers=no
;  printcap name=/etc/printcap
;   volume=RedHat4
lm announce=yes

netbios name=LASTBARD

[mystuff]
   comment = Free Stuff
   path = /share
   public = yes
   writable = no
   printable = no
   guest account = nobody

any help would be appreciated:)

 -- http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1628
lastbard on AOL instant messanger
"We will not be the alternative, we will set the trend"