Shadow and OpenLinux

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Sun May 3 17:51:28 GMT 1998

On Sun, May 03, 1998 at 09:07:53AM +1000, Hugo Segura wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>I'm running Caldera OpenLinux with kernel 2.0.29, shadow password and
>quotas. The shadow kit is 980403 and is working fine.

SAMBA works fine on Caldera OpenLinux 1.1 without specifying either shadow
or PAM passwords when compiling SAMBA.  Caldera 1.2 changed something which
requires SAMBA be compiled with PAM support.

Caldera OpenLinux 1.1 uses PAM, but has shadow passwords turned off by
default.  To turn shadow password on without installing any other software
requires adding the shadow keyword to /etc/pam.d/passwd, and manually
creating the initial /etc/passwd file with something like these (passwords
changed to protect the innocent):

root:xxxxxxxx:10118:0:10000:0:0:0:12
col:xxxxxxxx:10118:0:10000:0:0:0:12

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are
men who want rain without thunder and lightning.  They want the ocean
without the roar of its many waters.
                -- Frederick Douglass