changing password from win95 fail

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Tue Mar 31 18:42:31 GMT 1998

Robert Koruna wrote:

> Hello,
>
> now I've set up a linux samba password server using Samba 1.9.18p4 on
> a linux 2.0.33.
> File and password serving works ok now, but I can't change my
> passwords with any Win95 utility.
> Samba always tells me "Wrong password" an d in the logs it says:
> "Disallowing access to user due to null password
> check_lanman:password: old password doesn't match"

The "Disallowing access to user due to null password"
line is the key. What does the users password look like
in the smbpasswd file ?

My guess would be "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX".

If so you need to *set* an old password before the
user can change it.

Use smbpasswd as root to change the users password
to a known value, and then use that old value in
the 'Old password' part of the Win95 dialog box.

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.