Unix password Sync

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Tue Mar 31 17:53:54 GMT 1998

Matthew Geier wrote:

>  Ive just discovered that my previous email is wrong - the password sync
> does in fact work under Solaris fine. What is happening however is that
> when I create a new account, and call smbpasswd $user as root, it only
> updates the SMB password and not the Unix password as well.

Well if you compile Samba with -DALLOW_CHANGE_PASSWORD
and set up the parameters :

       passwd program - program to call to change unix password

       passwd chat - expect/send style script to drive the above

       unix password sync = true

Then smbd *will* change your UNIX password as well as
the smb password. The tricky part is setting up the
passwd chat script correctly for your system.

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.