Can not Print from NT 4.0 SP3 - NOT encrypted PASSWD

Dave dburwell at telecom.com
Tue Mar 31 16:23:16 GMT 1998

  SunOS 4.1.4, Samba 1.9.17p4.
  I have a small population of NT 4.0 clients. Three or four NT 4.0 SP3
clients can not print easily through a SAMBA server.
  I have applied the registry fix for encrypted password, and they can map
any shared folder they have rights to.
  It appears that the Samba server is challenging the client for a username
& password, but NT 4.0 w/ SP3 doesn't know how to handle it. If a client
already maps a drive, Samba doesn't need to ask again, and so printing works.
  Is there something wrong here? Printing works fine from all Win95
clients. The Win95 clients get challenges for printers all of the time, and
Win95 handles it.
  When the NT 4.0 client maps a printer through a server that they don't
have any shares mapped from, they get an error message, and that printer is
marked off-line.
  The problem is "cured" by mapping a drive from that Samba print server.
The client gets a challenge for a username and password to map the drive.
After they map that drive, and they try to print, it goes right through
without a problem.

security = share
;
[printers]