hide dotfiles not working.

Eddie Irvine eirvine at tpgi.com.au
Tue Mar 31 10:37:10 GMT 1998

Just started with Samba a few weeks ago so am
still a newbie. Am serving a single W-95 client
reasonably well - it allows users to log on using
their unix id and passwd, and they can all browse
their unix home directories. However ....

I can't seem to get the "hide dotfiles" directive to work.
Nor the "hide files"!

Also, If a user on W-95 saves a file to unix called,
say, "Joe Smith.doc", I want it to stay as
"Joe Smith.doc" , not be saved as "joe smith.doc" .
(I assume there is nothing wrong with wanting this)

These do not stike me as a complicated directives -
what am I doing wrong?

Help!

Running Samba 1.9.17p2 on FreeBSD 2.2 Stable.

Config file below:

--------------------------- snip snip --------------------

[global]
        domain logons = yes
        hide files = /.*/Mail/nsmail/desktop/nethood/Network Trash Folder/
;       hide dot files = yes
        getwd cache = yes
        max xmit = 8192
        read raw = yes
        read size = 8192
;       socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        mangle case = no
        mangled names = no
;       dont descend = /root,/dev,/etc,/var/log

[homes]
        writable = yes
        browsable = no
        invalid users = root
        hide files = /.*/Mail/nsmail/desktop/nethood/Network Trash Folder/
        hide dot files = yes

[printers]
        writable = no
        printable = yes