NT passowrd change problem -resolved

Thomas E. Knowles tek at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Mar 30 22:58:16 GMT 1998

caveat:  I did not have Administrator access to the PDC on the other subnet
while doing this testing.

So I dug a little further and found that the admins on the other PDC had set
accounts so that your password can not be any of your previous 3 passwords, so
the following was happening:

I change from 'foofoofo' to 'barbarba' --->  success
I change from 'barbarba' to 'foofoofo' --->  failure (one of my prev. 3)
I change from 'barbarba' to 'ffffff'   --->  success
I change from 'ffffff'   to 'foofoof'  --->  success (this confused me!)
I change from 'foofoof'  to 'foofoofo' --->  success (not one of prev. 3 now)

So I was getting this warped illusion about password lengths when it was really
just the fact that the security settings on the other PDC's domain were
different than my own.

Sorry for any confusion, I guess you could say smbpasswd works perfectly. ;)

--
Thomas E. Knowles
tek at CS.Princeton.EDU