unix password sync problems!

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Mon Mar 30 19:23:33 GMT 1998

Glen GIBB wrote:

> I have been trying for hours to get the unix password sync going properly
> with Samba 1.9.18p4 running on FreeBSD 2.2.5
>
> I have compiled Samba with the ALLOW_CHANGE_PASSWORD option enabled.
> I created the smbpasswd file as ENCRYPTION.txt states, and can set
> passwords as root.
>
> However, when a user tries changing their password, it doesn't work.
> The error reported is:
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd: machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password
> change: Error was: code -1.

Hmmm. Well I actually developed and tested the password
change code on FreBSD 2.2.5, so I know it works .......

The unix password change code seems to be working correctly
for you - what does your log say about the change_oem_password()
call that follows the UNIX password change in ipc.c.

At a high debug level you should see it scanning the
smbpasswd file and re-writing the users smb password
by calling mod_smbpwd_entry().

If you don't get any more log after the lines you
showed, then your chat script is wrong. Writing
chat scripts is *hard* on FreeBSD. It took me
a couple of hours to get mine right....

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.