SAMBA digest 1634

Donald Gaffney gaffney at salus.med.uvm.edu
Fri Mar 27 13:33:59 GMT 1998

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998 samba at samba.anu.edu.au wrote:

> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:54:21 -0500
> From: "W.J. McEachran" <billjr at penny.com>
> Subject: Re: What shares are mounted on client ?
>
> On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 09:51:07PM -0500, Charlie Brady wrote:
>
> > WFW can be configured to delay the connect on shares until it is actually
> > required. I think M$ calls it "Shadowed connections". That could explain
> > what you are seeing. There's a checkbox for this when you Connect to a
> > network drive.
>
> Update: I'm now running Samba version 1.9.18p3 and I'm still seeing the same
> problem as above from WFW clients (and not from Win'95 clients) ... lending
> some strong support to Charlie's statement.
>
> I can't find any reference to 'shawdowed connections' when connecting drive
> from WFW the only options are 'reconnect at startup' and 'always browse'. I
> have both of them active.

If I recall correctly, the shadowed or ghost connections option is in the
network control panel, not the connect network drive dialog box. (This
entry can probably also be made directly in the <windir>\system.ini file,
see the WfW resource kit/documentation.) The option applies to all
persistent drive mappings.

-Don