What shares are mounted on client ?

W.J. McEachran billjr at penny.com
Thu Mar 26 14:54:21 GMT 1998

On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 09:51:07PM -0500, Charlie Brady wrote:

> > Forinstance my WFW box has 5 'drives' mounted from shares on the SCO box at
> > the moment but 'smbstatus' shows only one line for my client.
> >
> > Samba version 1.9.16p5
> > Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
> > tmp          billjr   group    20960   billjr   (207.176.139.10) Wed Mar 25
> > 09:02:18 1998
>
> WFW can be configured to delay the connect on shares until it is actually
> required. I think M$ calls it "Shadowed connections". That could explain
> what you are seeing. There's a checkbox for this when you Connect to a
> network drive.

Update: I'm now running Samba version 1.9.18p3 and I'm still seeing the same
problem as above from WFW clients (and not from Win'95 clients) ... lending
some strong support to Charlie's statement.

I can't find any reference to 'shawdowed connections' when connecting drive
from WFW the only options are 'reconnect at startup' and 'always browse'. I
have both of them active.

Now, even more interesting, if I disconnect all mounted drives I still get
the following from 'smbstatus' (IP addressess and dates removed for
readability):

Samba version 1.9.18p3
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
tmp          billjr   group    18659   billjr

The date/time info displayed was the date/time that I logged onto the WFW
network. The [tmp] service would probably have been the first mounted drive.

So, 'smbstatus' shows only one service in use for each WFW client and doesn't
seem to be getting regularly updated (the date/time is always the login
date/time).

>From the brief testing I did with Win'95 (from home last night) it appeared to
be working properly.

Any ideas? I've got a Unix shell script which has to test that the client
has a SMB share mounted & this is holding me back.
TIA,
Bill McEachran                    billjr at penny.com
Penny Fuels Inc.                  Tel: (905) 686-5200 ext. 24
339 Westney Road South #202       Fax: (905) 686-5205
Ajax ON L1S-7J6