Newly added users cant connect until samba restart

pcdr at pcdr.com pcdr at pcdr.com
Wed Mar 25 22:04:42 GMT 1998

Hello,

We have samba-1.9.18p3 on Linux 2.0.33 with shadow-971001.  Samba
was compiled cleanly with the linux/shadow options in the Makefile so I
think I have a good server.

Our problem is getting newly added users to connect to a running server
without restarting the process. I have verified the password and account
on the linux side is setup correctly and done everything I can to find the
source of the problem without success.

I have a level 10 log (if someone wants/needs to see it) from one of the
clients and here is a sample session from smbclient.

=---- smbclient start -------------------------------------------------=
[root at tif-01 samba]# smbclient \\\\server\\share -U julij
Added interface ip=192.168.7.10 bcast=192.168.7.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Got a positive name query response from 192.168.7.10 ( 192.168.7.10 )
Server time is Wed Mar 25 10:34:57 1998
Timezone is UTC-5.0
Password:
Session setup failed for username=julij myname=TIF-01 destname=SERVER
ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or
Session Setup
are invalid.)
You might find the -U, -W or -n options useful
Sometimes you have to use `-n USERNAME' (particularly with OS/2)
Some servers also insist on uppercase-only passwords
=--- end --------------------------------------------------------------=

I am assuming that samba isn't recognizing changes in /etc/shadow and/or
/etc/passwd or loads these files once on startup but I'm not sure. Any
help you folks can give me is greatly appreciated!

Andy McRory

"Also, when can we now set up a clone part of the servers in both
 locations and ultimately <new server>?" - I love my job

-
The PC Doctor - pcdr at pcdr.com         **** LiNUX Systems Engineers ****
3009-C West Tharpe St.                *      Network  Integrators     *
Tallahassee, Florida 32303            * Custom Servers & Workstations *
Ph 850.575.7213 Fx 850.575.2901       *** Full  Service and Support ***