Not all files updated

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Wed Mar 25 01:20:11 GMT 1998

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, David Salton wrote:

> >It would help if you tell us what program they are using on the Win95 end
> >to do the copying. The problem is more likely to be at the client end -
> >the chance of samba not saving files that it was asked to by the client
> >*and* not writing any log messages seem to me to be lower than the chance
> >of a problem in the client. YMMV.
>
> Yeahr, it's a really quirky little program called "copy". Why on earth
> would you think that we were using some other program. I said in my note

A number of Windoze users occasionally use file manager or windows
explorer. YMMV.

> that they copied the files, and copied was what they did. I admit that I
> should have said that they copied from the dos prompt, but if they were
> using some special means of doing the copy, I would have mentioned it.
>
> >I would guess from your description of the workaround that the client
> >program is using some information from the existing server copy of files
> >to avoid some client to server file copying, and it is avoiding too much.
> >
> I don't think "copy" is that clever.

Turn up the logging level of smbd, and see what is happening. I still
maintain that it is more likely that there is a client (program+OS)
problem than that samba is ignoring client write requests and also logging
nothing.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301