Samba 1.9.18p3 server is making its own Work Group...

Lionel Leston 102624.346 at compuserve.com
Tue Mar 24 23:19:28 GMT 1998

Dear All,

I tried to upgrade AIX 4.3  (sever called VMT) to Samba 1.9.18p3 from
1.9.14 and see what I have got...
Before at  1.9.14 VMT had
        Makefile:               workgroup=*
         lmhosts:               0.0.0.0. LANGROUP G
So the VMT was browsable in LANGROUP windows domain (VANNT machine is a
domain controller).
Now...with Samba 1.9.18p3 I have:
         smb.conf:              workgroup =  langroup
                        local master = no
So I assume, that VMT should be browsable under existing  "langroup". But
it is not. "vmt" made it's own workgroup called "WORKGROUP" and became
master on it??!!

This machine now has a workgroup list:
                Workgroup               Master
                LANGROUP                VANNT
         WORKGROUP               VMT

And you can see VMT at WORKGROUP from VANNT, but it is not browsable from
any other  NT or WIN95 clients. At the same time you can find it
By EXPLORER/TOOLS/FIND COMPUTERS.

And it is not all.
WIN95 clients can see 'public' shares, can open it, can see folders inside,
but cannot open any inside  folders. The error 'folder doesn't" exist comes
out.

Any idea,  what to do?

///Alex Goussiatiner