95 client won't work?

Tim Tyler tyler at beloit.edu
Tue Mar 24 20:45:23 GMT 1998

Samba experts,
   We just installed samba 1.9.18p3 on an AIX 4.2.1 Unix system.  We had no
problems compiling or getting the deamons to run.  We can even successfully
connect with a smbclient '\\hostname\username' and can access user accounts
on our host.  However we can NOT successfully connect from Windows 95 or
other window clients.  When we try to map a drive, we get a password prompt
and we enter the password that we think is appropriate for the \username
part of the path.  But unfortunately we get a passwd error.  Also I should
note that we can't do a "smbclient -L hostname"  or "smblcient -L hostname
%U -m username"  to view shares.  It gives us a passwd error.  We do not
have a guest account of any sort.  We only have the root account and
ordinary user accounts.  The bottom line for us is that we want to solve the
problem of getting 95 client to access the samba server.  Any suggestions
from anyone?  Can someone send us a copy of their smb.conf file so that we
can compare (especially those of Unix installs)?  Any input is very much
appreciated!  Thanks!

--
Tim Tyler
Network Manager - Beloit College