Problems still with Password Authentication

Auteria Wally Winzer Jr. wally.winzer at ChampUSA.COM
Sat Mar 21 04:00:57 GMT 1998

Here's the scenario;

I have both Win95 and WinNT systems seeing the Samba Server with no problems.
The problem is when logging in it always wants the root password of the Samba
Server.  From the Win95 box it displays the following:

\\FOO.BAR\IPC$

I thought Samba is supposed to grab the username from which that person logged
under.
I went to all machines and sure enough it wants the root password in order to
gain
entrance.  How can I change this behavior so that when it asks for a password it
will
show something like the following:

\\FOO.BAR\FOOBAR

where "FOOBAR" is the username?  Even from an NT Box I type in another username
and
its legitimate password, but it still insists on the root password.  I've setup
password
encryption on the system. I'm using the "smbpasswd" utility to generate
passwords, even
though I know I can use the mksmbpasswd.sh script.

YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.  TIA.

- Wally Winzer Jr.