smbd overspawning problems

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Fri Mar 20 14:29:51 GMT 1998

It's been my expirience that NT/95 will save the path info to a network
share in a shortcut file (*.lnk). These shortcuts will then re-connect
the share if they don't see the drive letter they had used before (and
sometimes for no apparent reason at all). Each click on a shortcut seems
to mount another drive. We fixed our problem by running shortcut.exe
(found in the resource kit) against all of the 'Start Menu' and Desktop
shortcuts disabling this share tracking 'feature'. Unfortunately, I had to
use a perl script to gather the *.lnk files and run them each individually
through shortcut.exe, since it is a really poor implimentation of a
console app. It only works on files in the current directory, even if a
path is specified.

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Ben Kosse wrote:

> NT will also respawn these drives even when there are no *nix Samba
> servers. Ergo, I don't think there's much you can do.
>
> (For some reason, I keep getting a G: and H: remapping.)

                                [Darrin]

--
"I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious." - A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753