smbd overspawning problems

Patrick McCormick pmccormi at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 19 23:35:56 GMT 1998

I came back to my lab today to find the DEC AlphaStation 333 with DEC UNIX
4.0A running Samba 1.9.18p1 reporting "no more processes."  It turned out that
there were smbd processes filling the process table.

We use the Alpha for the login directories for a small (4 machine) NT Domain.
The PDC is a real NT machine, and the Alpha holds all the user directories.
The user profiles are set so that NT automatically mounts \\alpha\%USERNAME%
to drive Z: when they log in.

Lately, I've been noticing that after I log in and work for awhile, NT will
show every single drive (A-Z) that wasn't mapped previously mapped to the
directory of the user who last logged into the machine.  I once tried
disconnecting each drive (via Explorer) but after a few minutes they magically
disappeared.  I certainly don't have NT set to map those drives automatically,
so I'm not sure what's going on.  This also happens to other users.

I suspect that today's many hundreds (thousands) of smbd's came from an
exacerbation of the same problem.

I will install 18p2 as soon as I can, but before then I'd like to know if
anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks,

--Pat McCormick