Connecting to NT from smbclient fails

Michael Tibor tibor at lib.uaa.alaska.edu
Wed Mar 18 02:17:04 GMT 1998

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 Dominik Weis <weis at dom.hws.edu> wrote:

> I don't know if it is right on this list but it drives me cracy and it is
> probably somthing stupid that I do wrong.
> I have problems to connect from a
> Linux(Samba) computer to NT. I can connect without any problems from NT to
> Linux. The name pservgul is in the host file in the DNS and the computer name is
> pservgul. I am sure about that.
>
> weis at test:/home/weis > smbclient \\\\pservgul\\netlogon
> Added interface ip=172.30.10.24 bcast=172.30.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
> Session request failed (131,130) with myname=TEST destname=PSERVGUL
> Called name not present
> Try to connect to another name (instead of PSERVGUL)
> You may find the -I option useful for this
>
> Does someone know what I do wrong? The network uses a scope id. I do not know
> if that is important but Samba is configured to the right scope id. I get the
> same problem if I have NT and samba without a scope id. Thanx for any help
>
> Dominik Weis

Do you have other network client software installed on the NT machine?  I
know for me, installing Novell Client 32 completely broke incoming NetBIOS
over IP connections, resulting in the behavior you describe when I try to
connect via my Linux box (yes, other Windows boxes are also unable to
connect as well).

Mike

--
Mike Tibor        University of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician    Consortium Library                (907) 786-6050 fax
http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/~tibor/    mailto:tibor at lib.uaa.alaska.edu
Finger tibor at asimov.lib.uaa.alaska.edu for PGP public key